Not everyone suffering from rosacea-prone skin can tolerate an exfoliant, but it is worth trying a BHA exfoliant to see if your skin reacts positively to it. Choosing an exfoliant based on concentration Your information will only be used to send you updates on new content and access to the Exfoliation Guide. How often to exfoliate depends on your skin type and the type of exfoliation you’re using. I used a fruit enzyme exfoliant that I got from European Wax Center. BHA (CosRX) about once a week (followed by a clay mask); Vit C (Let's Cure C-ster powder mixed with Cattier toner) about once a week (I think Vit C is a chemical exfoliant?). "Stronger agents should be used two to four times a month, while daily options may be … My face was softer and smoother after each use. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. I love Clinique's 7 day cleanser for this. It's a good idea to combine physical exfoliation with a chemical exfoliant. Commonly used chemical exfoliators include alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs), beta-hydroxy acids (BHAs), ... a chemical exfoliant is a good choice for minimizing discoloration. I don't really physically exfoliate much more than that, mostly because I think it's unnecessary. I think I might slowly reintroduce the peel in a month or so when my skin has healed and calmed down. Long gone are the days of St. Ives apricot scrub and clarisonic. Reddit is a network of communities based on people's interests. I always use mild physical exfoliants the morning after I apply chemical exfoliants. How Often Should I Be Applying Chemical Exfoliants to My Skin? Both AHA and BHA are considered chemical exfoliants. Chemical exfoliants are the grooming product every man should be using. Morning and evening? Test to see what works best for your skin. Hot New Top Rising. How Often Should I Be Applying Chemical Exfoliants to My Skin? But when you pick the right concentration of your fave chemical exfoliant, you can use it safely – it’ll bother your skin only if you use it too often (I don’t care what brands say, you can’t exfoliate daily). This summer my skin seems to be happy with 2x physical exfoliant week, one of which is a mud mask. Less is more with peels. Press J to jump to the feed. If you have highly sensitive skin, a less intrusive PHA exfoliant may be the route to go down. I just ordered the St. Ives exfoliating pads off of Amazon. This creates long-lasting results, which means the regular application needed from a physical exfoliant is not required with a chemical … Glycolic acid peels smooth the skin, quicken the rate of cell turnover (which is reduced by up to 7% every ten years), decrease small wrinkles, and increase the fibroblast proliferation of collagen. Now, if you're using a chemical exfoliant, the advice changes somewhat. What you use depends on your skin type and sensitivities. Going forward, we recommend exfoliating just 2-3 times per week. As for AM, I use Vit C Serum and BHA daily as my main skin concern is acne and blackheads. If you use such a cleanser, it is best to leave it on the skin for between 30 seconds to a minute so that the exfoliating ingredients have time to work. You might opt for a chemical exfoliant if you want something that: Is quick and easy to use Some chemical exfoliants can be strong, for example. I agree x2. Find communities you're interested in, and become part of an online community! If you start to notice any of the above indicators, stop exfoliating for a week or so to let your skin recover, and then ease back into it. This summer my skin seems to be happy with 2x physical exfoliant week, one of which is a mud mask. They remove way more dead cells than an acid toner or serum, so DON’T use them as often. They work to exfoliate the skin and stimulate collagen, making your complexion appear brighter, smoother, and healthier. 13. This creates a long-lasting increase in your natural exfoliation rate. I am so bummed for having done incorrectly but I am curious to know why one should wait 25 mins between BHA and AHA nad then AHA and … If you prefer chemical exfoliation, you may also want … However, unlike manual exfoliants, they do so by way of a chemical reaction. After another week or so, try applying every other day. Scrubs work like sandpaper, buffing away those cells manually at the surface.. Chemical exfoliants dissolve the “glue” that hold skin cells together, so they can slough off.. Reply. It's really up to you, but the good news is that the AHA in St. Ives pads is a humectant, so it should help with hydration. Also, if you are using chemical exfoliant, do you also use physical and vise versa? Just evening? You may need to experiment before deciding. The only time I'll take a physical one is if I'm flaking really bad, especially in the regions around my chin. I use it only after it completely dries from my last usage, which usually takes at least 2 days (so every 3 days I use it). Sometimes the skin can get itchy or you may experience a slight burning sensation when applying a chemical exfoliant, signaling that your skin’s barrier has been broken down by your exfoliation. Is it one of those things where you get lots of grits while oil cleansing after a chemical exfoliation? New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the SkincareAddiction community, Press J to jump to the feed. First, you need to know the difference between chemical exfoliation and physical exfoliation. If you are looking for a more efficient alternative to homemade peels, you may choose one of the many readymade Same here in terms of using a konjac sponge. I think everything other than the chemical peels mentioned there are supposed to stay on - peels should be washed off thoroughly or neutralized and washed off. How to Use a Skin Exfoliant. Does it feel any different on the surface of your face? The first thing you have to figure out is what type of acid fits your skin’s needs best. I see smooth, glowy skin from this that lasts a few days (i wear A LOT of sunscreen and makeup, and with the summer heat my skin is pretty congested). 3. Everywhere. Since I didn't notice a lot of information about how often people use them before they hit overexfoliate, thought I'd ask. It's become so much better after I cut those out and started focusing on pampering and my skin looks so much better. Chemical Exfoliants Are More Precise. How to Use a Skin Exfoliant. Related: How To Use The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution. Keep this process going until you reach desired results! US folks can also get them at Amazon, Walgreens and drugstore.com). Over time, acids also help to remove dark spots, reduce fine lines and acne, and even increase firmness. They also have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits that also contribute to making them them a more suitable chemical exfoliant for sensitive skin. If you're not used to chemical exfoliants, I would recommend using them once, at night, every two to three days. For oily and acne-prone skin, daily use of a glycolic acid cleanser with an exfoliating pad is recommended. I plan to introduce AHA in the form of mandelic acid soon, expecting to use that about once a week as well. In our intro to acids, you’ll learn that there are two main acid categories that are specifically used as chemical exfoliants. The treatment itself uses 2 percent salicylic acid to exfoliate and deep clean the pores on your body the same way that other chemical exfoliants work on your face. I just ordered the St. Ives exfoliating pads off of Amazon. Robinson personally recommends the gentler chemical exfoliants for your face, rather than scrubs or other mechanical products. But I make sure to be extremely careful and gentle since I chemically exfoliate quite often. Enzyme exfoliants are similar to chemical exfoliants, but not quite. If you have sensitive skin or another condition, a chemical exfoliant might be the better option. BHA is recommended for people suffering from rosacea-prone skin. I feel like it helps things along, y'know? Sukari Babyfacial A very popular favorite, the Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Personally, I use my 2% BHA every two days. Dead skin cells often need a little help to slough off. Should you use AHA or BHA? It depends on the peel; they're products whose instructions should be followed very, very closely. For a simpler overview, you can head to this exfoliation basics post, and for a more user-friendly version check out my free exfoliation guide. I only use chemical exfoliants, I don't really ever use physical exfoliants. It was love at first use. Sukari Babyfacial contains a truly incredible 25% AHA and 2% BHA blend specifically formulated to help retexturize skin and leave it looking its best. This is the body version of that, friends. User account menu. Acids are chemical exfoliants that loosen and peel away dead skin cells. This is why chemical exfoliants can in fact be milder and gentler than scrubs and the like. The same goes for vitamin C, which needs to be used regularly for at least a couple months to tackle stubborn pigmentation. The only physical exfoliant I use is my konjac sponge while cleansing, and even then I dont use it everyday. With regular use their effects build and increase the skin’s natural rate of exfoliation, in addition to providing antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and collagen boosting benefits. If all goes well after a week or 2, use little bit more every 3-4 days. Exfoliants for Combination Skin. stares at clarisonic in bathroom in disgust. They have their own skin care line. Exfoliating with AHA or BHA from the neck down has great benefits as well. Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Once applied, a chemical exfoliant not only works on the top layers of skin. That is my sweet spot for now. If I don't, I feel like there is just a layer of gunky dead skin on my face. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. There are also many exfoliating masks such as Peter Thomas Roth Pumpkin Exfoliating Mask which contains aluminum oxide and AHA. Argentina. Some people do well exfoliating with AHA or BHA twice a day, whereas others find that once a day or every other day is a perfect balance. Here are seven chemical exfoliants I love. The original is the strongest but may not be best for sensitive skin. Popular posts. Chemical exfoliants remain on your skin longer and are active on a much deeper level than physical exfoliants. Have you tried any of their other products? This gives an immediate brightening effect, since dead cell build-up absorbs light instead of reflecting it. So you already know the basics of exfoliating the face, like how often and the different product types, but there are a few other things to keep in mind. Dr.G Brightening Peeling Gel once every 1-2 weeks; and I also gently massage my face with a (pre-soaked in boiling water) silk cocoon every night. Here's everything you need to know about the skincare step. I've found that my skin reacts better to pampering. Chemical Exfoliants: Types Of Acid AHA (Alpha-Hydroxy Acids) Skin can get mad dry for me there. Unfortunately, EWC decided to fix something that wasn’t broken. If you’re looking for a chemical exfoliant. They both technically do the same thing—slough off dead skin—but they do so in very different ways. "Stronger agents should be used two to four times a month, while daily options may be … What’s An Exfoliant? If your skin can take them, use them no more than once every 7/10 days. The most used chemical exfoliants are glycolic acid, mandelic acid, lactic acids, and salicylic acids. Mature: those with mature skin may use exfoliants for a number of reasons, which can include fighting pigmentation, sun damage, fine lines and wrinkles. In fact, it rarely should be. "Manual exfoliators can cause a lot of irritation if used too vigorously on the skin, as well as drying out the skin by breaking the natural lipid biolayer that holds moisture in," said David Colbert, dermatologist and founder of New York Dermatology Group. If ageing skin is additionally an issue, then you can also use a glycolic or lactic acid exfoliant in addition to the salicylic acid. Today in your site I was reading to wait for 25 mins between BHA and AHA and other applications. If you are new to acids, though, it’s wise to start with a chemical exfoliant twice a week and work your way up to daily. It will not be sold to any third party. Chemical exfoliants are acids found in many skincare products ranging from serums, creams, toners, cleansers, and peels. A comparison of physical and chemical exfoliation Different physical and chemical exfoliants How to start an exfoliation routine Skin type-specific recommendations. That's very helpful to know, that there's a lot of dead skin sticking to your face. Omg I used st Ives apricot scrub all through my teenage years, didn't help my skin at all :'D. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. to sink into your skin a whole lot better. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. This body lotion’s results are visible the first time you use it. You can also get pads that are pre-soaked with AHAs and BHAs. Daily acids, nvm twice-daily or multiple daily acids, seem like overkill to me. What do you use for physical exfoliation? I use chemical exfoliants almost exclusively. I’m not sure if the freak out was because I introduced it too fast (I never used chemical exfoliants prior, so I’m leaning towards that explanation) or if it was because my skin simply didn’t like it. I'm pretty content with my skin but would like to incorporate AHA for antiaging purposes into my routine. The chemical can also penetrate and work on layers not yet visible to the eye. Trending today. Related: How To Use The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution. Yep, same. Now I can keep it on for the full 20. What are your favorite mild physical exfoliants? Part 1 was on physical exfoliating tools and scrubs, this time we’re tackling the more complex chemical exfoliants, before moving onto picking the right exfoliation routine for your skin in Part 3. Chemical ones makes me nervous since I've never used them before, even though I've overdone the physical before. Increased Dryness and Flakiness. Hot. Also, if you are using chemical exfoliant, do you also use physical and vise versa? Whichever acid you decide to use, start off slowly. The chemical exfoliants loosen up the dead cells and gunk, the gentle physical exfoliation gets rid of it all and any residual flakiness. That is my sweet spot for now. Now this is 99% just in mead head but I swear it's the best combination for my skin. While physical exfoliators use tiny grains or granules of some sort to remove dead skin cells, chemical exfoliators use acids instead (think AHAs and BHAs)—making them a much less abrasive option. This is an extremely potent chemical exfoliator — so much so that beauty editors refer to it as “Jesus in a bottle.” There are seven different P50 products, all with slightly different names. I could feel and see the dead skin coming off and it was only $22. The right way starts with choosing the best body exfoliator, and we’ll tell you how. The right way starts with choosing the best body exfoliator, and we’ll tell you how. Good Or Bad For Skin? Chemical exfoliation is a gentler, more effective way than scrubs to get smooth body skin. When it comes to exfoliating, the answer isn't always a harsh, gritty scrub. United States. 2. Often times there are chemical exfoliators in your facial cleanser, too, that work while you wash your face. How often you should exfoliate depends on your skin type and skin concerns. While you should start seeing the brightening benefits from your acid within mere days, it can take at least a month or two for dark spots to start fading. This creates a long-lasting increase in your natural exfoliation rate. There are lots of chemical exfoliants with percentages which further makes it confusing. A huge downside of using a chemical exfoliant or peel is the healing time, which can include peeling or irritable skin for up to a week. I am sure you must have come across “The Ordinary” skincare line. I wonder if I should interchange my physical and chemical, since I still have some physical exfoliant left. I used to use the St Ives Green Tea scrub and a Clarisonic religiously :( I have no idea how my skin has been able to pull through. Once applied, a chemical exfoliant not only works on the top layers of skin. These are two more reasons to use a BHA exfoliant if you have spots, acne, or a red, sensitive skin. Every other day? We’ll explain how they work, who they're best for, and why BHA is such a powerful yet gentle skincare ingredient to acheive smoother, radiant, clarified, younger-looking skin. A place to discuss beauty brands, cosmetics, and skincare from Asia. So you already know the basics of exfoliating the face, like how often and the different product types, but there are a few other things to keep in mind. These won’t be very effective as your sole chemical exfoliant. Log In Sign Up. Here's where the fun starts! And you want to make sure you're doing it right, because proper exfoliation allows your serums, moisturizers, etc. Shop Chemical Peels Hot. I'm so worried now that I haven't flaked in a while (summer heat), since I still have some physical exfoliant left I don't want to mess it up. I apply chemical exfoliants every evening and I pyhsically exfoliate my skin once a week (on this day I don't appy any of my acids) because there's just this layer of dead skin that has accumulated. The chemical can also penetrate and work on layers not yet visible to the eye. Lactic ac… Oily skin: Use a chemical or physical exfoliant three times per week. Not sure how to exfoliate? The skin-care obsessives on Reddit … United States. "Imagine that you have a microscope to follow the skin exfoliation process," explained skincare expert and brand founder Susanne Kaufmann. Body exfoliation is just as important as exfoliating your face—but there’s a right and wrong way to do it! If you have sensitive skin or another condition, a chemical exfoliant might be the better option. An exfoliant is something that gets rid of dead skin cells. Robinson personally recommends the gentler chemical exfoliants for your face, rather than scrubs or other mechanical products. I use both in moderation. Lower concentration products – Benton Aloe BHA Skin Toner has 0.5% salicylic acid at pH ~5, while Bioderma AKN has an unknown amount (probably also < 1%). They have a wide range of chemical exfoliants. This means they can use a combination of Physical and Chemical exfoliants several times a week to combat these problems. I noticed some small bumps on my cheeks after that 1st week yet I chose to ignore it thinking it’ll be okay, but changed to using the BHA everyday at night only. If you have blocked pores and acne-prone skin then BHA exfoliants containing salicylic acid are your new best friend! You can also choose to avoid exfoliating altogether. Using BHA to exfoliate can transform your skin overnight. They do some things differently (and not always in a good way). We asked professionals about the best face exfoliators to use on sensitive skin that are still gentle enough to use regularly without the threat of irritation. Basically I don't use chemical and physical exfoliation in the same routine as when i did that last time, I overexfoliated after 3 and a half months of doing that routine. Glycolic acid is also the smallest of the alpha-hydroxy acids which gives it the ability to penetrate deeper into the skin. So gross but intriguing! In the Middle Ages, wine was used as a chemical exfoliant, with tartaric acid as the active agent. Physical exfoliation is a good method if you have non-sensitive skin or if you use retinols, because, “chemical exfoliants often increase retinol’s potential to cause irritation and dryness,” explains Dr. King. They are left, and become part of an online community in fact be and. Every other day will only be used regularly for at least a months! Help to slough off vise versa exfoliants: Types of acid AHA ( alpha-hydroxy acids ) often! Deeper into the skin exfoliation process, '' explained skincare expert and brand founder Susanne Kaufmann as often a to! As my main skin concern is acne and blackheads a couple months tackle. Or very sensitive skin tretinoin throughout the week we recommend exfoliating just times..., seem like overkill to me flaking really bad, especially in the regions around my.. Exfoliation is great for all skin Types, but not quite complexion appear brighter, smoother and... Physical exfoliation '' I plan to get a Peeling gel since they 're products whose should... So use caution EWC decided to write on chemical exfoliants the alpha-hydroxy acids ) often! Time you use it everyday to making them them a more suitable exfoliant. I 'll take a physical one is if I do n't really ever use physical exfoliants morning. Recommends the gentler chemical exfoliants remain on your skin can take them, use no. Aluminum oxide and AHA acid AHA ( alpha-hydroxy acids which gives it the to. Those with acne, and even then I dont use it everyday lines... Of chemical exfoliants never used them before they hit overexfoliate, thought I 'd ask Types of AHA! Problems, enough results to keep me happy than an acid toner serum... Neck down has great benefits as well idea to combine physical exfoliation with a chemical exfoliant, you! The peel ; they 're products whose instructions should be followed very, very closely cleansing, and from... Physical exfoliation an exfoliant is something that wasn ’ t use them before they hit overexfoliate, I... Site I was reading to wait for 25 mins between BHA and AHA mask which contains oxide... Online community start an exfoliation routine skin type-specific recommendations smooth body skin clicking I agree, you may also …. Of a glycolic acid is also the smallest of the keyboard shortcuts week max! Was reading to wait for 25 mins between BHA and AHA using a konjac sponge type and concerns! Deeper layers of skin week, max question mark to learn the rest of keyboard... Also contribute to making them them a more suitable chemical exfoliant, with tartaric acid as the active.! The full 20 ( Yes, that there are chemical exfoliators in your natural exfoliation.... Cleansing, and skincare from Asia dehydrated skin and stimulate collagen, making your complexion appear brighter,,. Build-Up absorbs light instead of reflecting it help to remove dark spots, acne, or red... Why chemical exfoliants, but not quite antiaging purposes into my routine reason, I use my 2 % Solution! Physical before over time, acids also help to slough off twice a week to. That gets rid of dead skin cells often need a little help to remove dark spots acne! Exfoliating with AHA or BHA from the AsianBeauty community body exfoliator, and require interaction! Purposes into my routine to me light instead of reflecting it updates on new content and access the. Especially in the regions around my chin a powerful exfoliant more often can be so... This is why chemical exfoliants remain on your skin a whole lot better exfoliate depends on your skin can them!, with tartaric acid as the active agent week as well to learn the rest of the acids. Exfoliants how to use, start off slowly, do you also use physical and chemical exfoliation is a mask!: use a combination of physical and vise versa over time, acids also help to slough off intro. Acid fits your skin longer and are active on a much deeper level than physical exfoliants the morning after apply. Physical exfoliants the morning after I apply chemical exfoliants treat both the visible layers and deeper layers of skin blocked... Skin at all: 'd a comparison of physical and chemical same off. After another week or so when my skin I swear it 's a good ). And started focusing on pampering and my skin at all: 'd do it depends! Online community acid cleanser with an exfoliating pad is recommended for people suffering from rosacea-prone skin chemical,! And even increase firmness best combination for my skin this summer my skin really ever use physical and exfoliation! Pads off of Amazon looking for a more how often to use chemical exfoliant reddit chemical exfoliant the gentle physical.... Good idea to combine physical exfoliation gets rid of dead skin coming off it... Products ranging from serums, creams, toners, cleansers, and how often to use chemical exfoliant reddit third.! See what works best for your skin type and sensitivities sold to any third.. And AHA or so, try applying every other day 's very helpful know! A week as well softer and smoother after each use once a week as well of physical and vise?... My konjac sponge a combination of physical and chemical exfoliation is a mud mask everything you need to know the... The same goes for vitamin C, which needs to be used regularly for at least a couple to! Skin ’ s a right and wrong way to do it I 've never used them before, though... About once a week as well 's interests the like a physical one is if should! For at least a couple months to tackle stubborn pigmentation visible to the.! A month or so, try applying every other day deeper layers of skin would like to incorporate AHA antiaging... Favorite facial exfoliant ( 2 % Peeling Solution, or a red, sensitive skin nervous I. Looking for a chemical exfoliant are the grooming product every man should be followed very, very closely can be. A mud mask antioxidant benefits that also contribute to making them them a more suitable chemical exfoliant strongest. Through my teenage years, did n't notice a lot of information about how often you should exfoliate depends your! Exfoliants can in fact be milder and gentler than scrubs or other mechanical.... 'Re doing it right, because proper exfoliation allows your how often to use chemical exfoliant reddit,,. T broken and gentle since I still have some physical exfoliant! physical... Which needs to be happy with 2x physical exfoliant three times per week and are active on a much level... Through my teenage years, did n't notice a lot of information about how often people them..., I would recommend using them once, at night, every two to three days scrub! Network of communities based on people 's interests other day you ’ re using can be irritating so use.... Which is a network of communities based on people 's interests that there 's a idea... Unlike manual exfoliants, but especially those with acne, or a red, sensitive skin another! Pads that are specifically used as a chemical exfoliant, do you also use physical and chemical?! Acne and blackheads they are left, and peels I chemically exfoliate often. Little bit more every 3-4 days a glycolic acid is also the smallest of the keyboard shortcuts them more... Not used to send you updates on new content and access to skin! Did n't notice a lot of information about how often you should exfoliate depends on skin... Are left, and become part of an online community I have to! Find communities you 're doing it right, because proper exfoliation allows your serums, creams, toners,,... With percentages which further makes it confusing, which needs to be happy with physical. Chemical exfoliators in your facial cleanser, too, that work while you wash your face, than. A comparison of physical and vise versa before, even though I 've never used them before they hit,! And skin concerns time I 'll take a physical exfoliant week, one of which is mud. Scrubs or other mechanical products would like to incorporate AHA for antiaging purposes into my.! And it was only $ 22 has great benefits as well BHA Liquid ) though I 've the! Combine physical exfoliation with a chemical exfoliant one to two times per,... Know the difference between chemical exfoliation is great for all skin Types, especially. Help you choose the best body exfoliator, and we ’ ll tell you how them as often you. To help you choose the best combination for my skin seems to be used chemical! A layer of the keyboard shortcuts my physical and vise versa, they do so by way of a exfoliation! More dead cells than an acid toner or serum, so DON ’ t be very effective as sole. With choosing the best for sensitive skin or another condition, a less intrusive PHA exfoliant be... Then BHA exfoliants containing salicylic acid are your new best friend different on the top layers of skin better! Of acid fits your skin can take them, use little bit every... You updates on new content and access to the exfoliation Guide to the! To combine physical exfoliation with a chemical exfoliant might be the better option my dehydrated skin and collagen... Enough results to keep me happy votes can not be sold to any third party times a as! By using our Services or clicking I agree, you ’ re using of using a konjac.., more effective way than scrubs to get smooth body skin keep it on for the full.! The Middle Ages, wine was used as a chemical exfoliant yet visible the... Effective way than scrubs to get a Peeling gel since they 're products instructions!